ACME Markets Celebrates the Grand Opening of its new University City Store
ACME Markets will celebrate the grand opening of their newest store in University City, adjacent to the University of Pennsylvania, located at 4001 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA at 6 am on Friday, October 23. The store is a first-class urban grocery experience that includes expanded varieties of the freshest products, a top-notch full-service deli and hot foods department, top-quality meats and seafood, and a large selection of natural, gluten-free, organic, and local products.
“Our new store celebrates our customers and we are thrilled to offer them such an exciting new shopping experience,” said Jim Perkins, president, ACME. “From our product selection to the design and layout of the store, our goal was to tailor this store for our neighbors in University City and West Philadelphia. We’ve created a fresh, new feel to the shopping experience with greater selections, convenience, and variety. We look forward to continuing to bring the best of ACME to the residents of University City and West Philadelphia for many years to come.”
ACME leadership, representatives from the University of Pennsylvania, and local officials will join Store Director Andy Weis at the official ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday, October 22. At the ceremony, the ACME Markets Foundation will donate $50,000 to local hunger programs supporting the West Philadelphia community. The ceremony will be broadcasted virtually to the public. Click here to join.
“We are delighted to welcome ACME to our Shop Penn retail district, anchoring 40th Street as a welcoming and attractive neighborhood shopping corridor,” commented Anne Papageorge, University of Pennsylvania Vice President of Facilities and Real Estate Services. “ACME’s commitment to delivering an excellent all-around experience for our shoppers aligns with Penn’s commitment to providing a high-quality grocery store to the residents of University City, including the campus community.”
The new store in University City includes the following premium fresh signature items:
- A top-notch Deli department featuring a large selection of meal solutions including sushi, Poke bowls, Asian hot bar, whole focaccia pizza, BBQ station, and ACME’s first ever Sally the Robot salad station
- A full-service Butcher Block featuring fresh cut meats prepared daily by our on-site butchers and a full-service Seafood department
- Our signature Bakery with freshly made pastries, hot Italian bread, chocolate chip cookies, and cakes for special occasions
- Wide variety of natural, organic, and gluten-free products throughout the store
- A large beer and wine set combined with cold and warm space, featuring many local craft beer options
- In-store Starbucks, staffed with friendly baristas ready to prepare your favorite drinks
ACME Markets Foundation will present donations during their official ribbon cutting to the following local organizations:
- $10,000 to Share Food Program
- $10,000 to Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger
- $10,000 to Netter Center for Community Partnerships
- $10,000 to Philadelphia School District Home & School Council
- $10,000 to Together for West Philadelphia
About ACME Markets
ACME Markets began in 1891 when two friends, Samuel Robinson and Robert Crawford, opened a small neighborhood grocery store in South Philadelphia, emphasizing quality products, low prices, and friendly service. 129 years later, ACME remains dedicated to providing a high-quality grocery experience that our customers have come to expect. Today, ACME operates 164 stores, including 102 ACME Pharmacies at select locations, in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Delaware, and Maryland, employing over 18,000 associates. During 2020, the ACME Markets Foundation has provided nearly $3 million in financial support to local organizations to date. The company and its associates remain committed to the communities they serve. For more information, visit www.acmemarkets.com.
Contact: Dana Ward, Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Mid-Atlantic Division